On February 17, 1914, a training school for nurses called the West Suburban Hospital School for Nurses was founded and over the years, became what we now know as Resurrection University. In its more than 100 years of existence, the University has grown from a small nursing school, to an established, well-known nursing college, to a University that offers both a College of Nursing and a College of Allied Health. In honor of the University’s history and tradition, we celebrate our Founders’ Day with a week-long calendar of events and activities for our students, faculty and staff, alumni and friends of the University. We hope you can join us for one of these upcoming events to celebrate our past and our bright future.
Friday, February 17 – Founders’ Day
Community Prayer Service
Join us for a morning prayer service at 10 am in the 11th floor chapel at St. Elizabeth Hospital (1431 N. Claremont) to kick-off our Founders’ Week celebration. This is open to all community members. No RSVP required.
ResU Pop-Up Spirit Store
The launch of the first ResU Pop-Up Spirit store will take place in the Student Lounge from 10 am – 1 pm. Come check out a new selection of ResU sweatshirts, t-shirts and athletic shirts and show your school spirit! Items will be available for purchase on site and additional items can be pre-ordered if an alternative size is needed. Credit cards and cash will be accepted. If you are unable to make the Pop-Up Shop on 2/17, we’ll be hosting another one a few weeks later (date TBD).
Saturday, February 18
Career Event from 10 – 11:30 am – Degrees, Certifications, Credentials, Professional Organizations…OH MY! What Should I do next? Are you struggling with making a decision about what certifications or credentials you should pursue next? Or what organizations you should join? Maybe you’re ready to advance your degree? Join us for this alumni association event to learn from experts, faculty members and other alumni who have experienced the same uncertainty and get tips and advice about making the right career decision for you. This event is open to ResU students and alumni. Register for this event here.
Current List of Panelists:
- Victor Cadiz Agoo ‘09, MSN, RN, CMSRN, NEA-BC, Director, Patient Care Services, Adult Psychiatric Mental Health Unit, University of Illinois Hospitals and Health Sciences Systems
- Mariola Grzeszczyk ’13, BSN, RN, Presence St. Joseph Chicago, Medical-Surgical
- Lauren Ziskind ’10 & ’14, APN, NP-C, OCN , Nurse Practitioner for the Adult Leukemia Program at The University of Chicago
- Kiersten Coon MSN, CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist), Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- Laurie Zack, MSN, APN, FNP-BC, LPC, Director of Institutional Research, Resurrection University
- Reem Azhari, PhD, RN, Endowed Chair of Interprofessional Education, Resurrection University
Alumni and Student Skills Day
Venipuncture 101 Skills Day from 12 – 3pm – Back by popular demand, we are hosting another IV skills day. This event has reached capacity and is only open to those who received an invitation including students enrolled in Adult Health II and Radiography students in their last semester. To sign up for the wait list in case of further availability, please click here.
Bring a Donation and Support Catholic Charities
This year, building on our legacy of service, we would like to celebrate by giving back to the community during Founders’ Week. We have decided to support Catholic Charities by collecting much-needed donations for their Senior Centers. The items that are needed are: dish towels, combs, large print crossword or word search books, totes or shopping bags and Epsom salts. As one of ResU’s clinical partners, Catholic Charities and ResU have been working together to continue to offer health assessments and educational services that benefit the well-being of the residents and the learning of our students. Please consider bringing in a donation when you attend these events.
Tuesday, February 21 – Thursday, February 23
ResU Game Room
We know it’s finals week and constantly studying can become a bit overwhelming, so take a break and visit the ResU Game Room Tuesday, February 21 through Thursday, February 23. We’ll have snacks and treats along with some of your favorite old-school games and a little friendly competition. (Join us on Wednesday night for bean bag toss, trivia, and a hula hoop competition.) Pizza will be served on Wednesday night and prizes will be awarded to winners. These events are open to current students, faculty and staff.
Tuesday, February 21 – Game Room open from 8 am – 4 pm in room #602 and from 4 – 9 pm in room #603
Wednesday, February 22 – Game Room open from 8 am – 4 pm in room #602 and from 2:30 – 9 pm in Paisley and Lake Shore Rooms (10th floor)
Competition Schedule (events taking place in Paisley and Lake Shore Rooms on the 10th floor):
- 3:15 – 4:15 pm – Team Trivia – Trivia teams can be made up of all students, or mixed between students, faculty, and staff. Only the team leader should sign up. Prizes are awarded to winners! The number of people on the team (3-6) should be listed in the comment section during sign up. Register your trivia team here!
- 4:30 – 5:45 pm – Bean Bag Toss Competition – The competition will be completed in bracket tournament style. Prizes are awarded to winners! Only one person per team should sign up (teams of two people). Please list team mate names in the comment section during sign up. Register your team here!
- 4:30 – 5:45 pm – Hula Hoop Competition – No need to register. Just join in! Prizes awarded to winners.
- 5:45 – 6:00 pm – Pizza – Stay for a while and enjoy a complimentary pizza dinner.
- 6:00 – 7:00 pm – Pictionary Competition – Faculty/Staff vs. Students
Thursday, February 23 – Game Room open from 8 am – 8 pm in room #602
Thursday, February 23
Thinking Out Loud: Food As Medicine II
The University will host Thinking Out Loud: Food As Medicine Part II on Thursday, February 23 from 5:30 – 8:00 pm as part of the Speaker Series events. Guest speakers Dr. Kristine Tohtz, Dr. David Miller, and Chef and Dietitian Eric Meredith are back again this time for a special presentation about food, the pros and cons of different diets, and the best way to manage weight and stay healthy. This event is open to the general public. For more information and to register, visit resuthinkingoutloud.com
Friday, February 24
Faculty and Staff Appreciation Event
ResU faculty and staff are invited to participate in a fun and interactive appreciation event on Friday, February 24 at 5:00 pm. Food and beverages will be provided. Information will be emailed to faculty and staff. An RSVP is required to attend.
Saturday, February 25
The official Presidential Inauguration of Dr. Therese A. Scanlan will take place on Saturday, February 25. The mass and ceremony will take place at 1:00 pm at St. Aloysius Church (2300 W. Le Moyne Street, Chicago). A reception will follow immediately at Resurrection University. This event is open to faculty, staff, students, alumni and friends of the University by invitation only. For more information and to RSVP, visit resu.edu/presidential-inauguration