Using TENS (Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) and Acupressure for Pain Control in Labor and Delivery
Wednesday, January 23 from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
This program provides doctoral/professional students, nurses, doulas and other certified health care professionals the opportunity to learn new techniques to help support laboring women. Techniques for acupressure for both pain and labor progression as well as the application, safety and use of TENS units in labor / delivery will be covered. Pain mechanisms in the brain and pain gaiting will be discussed to better comprehend the action of the therapies in pain control. Hands on application and delivery of a basic TENS unit will be included in the course.
At the completion of the program, the attendee will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of pain mechanisms and pain gaiting.
- Demonstrate proficiency in identifying common acupressure points.
- Demonstrate proficiency in applying acupressure or TENS unit for common conditions in labor.
- Confidently and safely apply a TENS unit for labor pain.
Instructor: Kristine Tohtz, DC, DABCA, LAc, CACCP
- Chiropractic Physician
- Diplomate of American Board of Chiropractic Acupuncture, ABCA
- Licensed Acupuncturist, IL
- Certified in Pregnancy & Pediatric Care, ICPA
- Certified Post-Partum Doula, Maternity Wise