Bachelor of Science in Health Informatics & Information Management (BSHIIM) Program Admission Criteria
Resurrection University’s Health Informatics and Information Management (HIIM) program provides students with the required skills and abilities to be a part of the health care team that develops, implements, and uses systems to effectively manage individual and population health information. A Health Information Management (HIM) professional will ensure, monitor, analyze and protect health information. Essentially, the HIM professional will care for patients by caring for their medical data.
The ResU HIIM program is a blend of healthcare, business management and IT. Whether you are looking to jump start a career, or looking for a field where your business, IT and/or healthcare skills are immediately transferable, HIM is a stable and rewarding industry where you can make an immediate impact. Drawing from a variety of industries, also means the BSHIIM degree can lead to a wide variety of career paths. This program is ideal for those who wish to work in the healthcare industry, but do not want direct patient care. The completion of this program will allow students to sit for the Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) credentialing exam.
As an upper-division transfer school, potential HIIM students will need to transfer in about 60 semester credits in General Education and Support courses. We highly recommend completing a transcript evaluation prior to applying in order to understand the classes that would transfer and the classes still needed. I need a transcript evaluation!
BSHIIM Admission Criteria
- A cumulative, undergraduate college grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale
- Must be in good standing with all prior colleges and universities attended
BSHIIM Application Requirements
- Submit an online application and fee ($50 nonrefundable)
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Submit a two-page personal statement detailing the reasons you wish to pursue the degree and how you feel the degree will enhance your career
Start Terms and Application Deadlines
The HIIM program starts in the Fall only.
- Fall application deadline is July 15 (or until all seats are filled)
HIIM Educational Requirements
As an upper-division University, Resurrection requires students entering the HIIM program to complete all general education and support prerequisites prior to admission.
Prerequisites General Education Courses
|Physical Science (either physical or life science must include a lab)||3-4|
|Life Science (either physical or life science must include a lab)||3-4|
|Social Science Electives||9|
|Humanities and Fine Arts||9|
|Total General Education||39-41|
Prerequisites Support Courses
|Intro to Computers||3|
|*Anatomy & Physiology I||4|
|*Anatomy & Physiology II||4|
|Total Support Courses||22-23|
*Anatomy & Physiology courses do not require labs. Students may elect to take Pathopharmacology at ResU. The class will be added to the student’s curriculum and satisfy the separate Pathophysiology and Pharmacology requirements.
Are you ready for more detailed information about the Health Informatics and Information Management (BSHIIM) program? Please fill out our Inquiry Form to create your own personal view book. Your view book allows you to:
- Learn more detailed information about the HIIM program
- Set up an appointment with an admissions counselor
- Start the application process
- Fill out an application
- Explore different financial aid options
- Register for upcoming ResU events